- The iconic retail company Wal-Mart is the No. 1 among all Fortune 500 companies for the second year in a row. The top retail company recorded $421 billion in sales. Wal-Mart's earnings were $16.4 billion.
- Oil Giant Exxon Mobi remained at No. 2 in the list of Fortune 500 companies, no. 2 on the Fortune 500 this year. The company recorded profits of $35.6 billion
- Oil giant Chevron remained at the No. 3 slot with revenues of $196 billion.
Some of the biggest movement among the top fortune 500 companies were as follows:
- Giant holding company Berkshire Hathaway jumped four places on remain at to No. 7 in the fortune 500 companies list with revenues of $136.2 billion.
- Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer moved up nine places, to No. 31 in the fortune 500 companies list
- Pay-TV provider DirecTV (No. 110) jumped six places on the list as revenues rose to $24.1 billion.
Some other highlights of the fortune 500 companies list were as follows:
- Automaker General Motors rose to No. 8, despite having emerged from bankruptcy only in November.
- Two homebuilders made the list despite a national foreclosure crisis.
- Destitute ward of the government, Fannie Mae, lost more than $14 billion last year but sprang to No. 5 on the 500, ahead of General Electric.
The list of the top 50 fortune 500 companies is as follows:
|9||Bank of America Corp.||134,194.0||-2,238.0|
|13||J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.||115,475.0||17,370.0|
|17||American International Group||104,417.0||7,786.0|
|18||International Business Machines||99,870.0||14,833.0|
|26||Procter & Gamble||79,689.0||12,736.0|
|34||Medco Health Solutions||65,968.3||1,427.3|
|37||State Farm Insurance Cos.||63,176.7||1,762.8|
|39||Archer Daniels Midland||61,682.0||1,930.0|
|40||Johnson & Johnson||61,587.0||13,334.0|
|48||United Parcel Service||49,545.0||3,488.0|
About the Fortune 500 companies list and rankings